Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Norway Helps African Nations

I found an article discussing a very humane issue that has not received much attention yet. Here is the article:

Here



The issue on hand here is the assistance from a wealthy, developed nation going out of their way to assist not just one African nation, but six. Norway used to be a poor nation who became wealthy through its use of its natural resources. Now they are going to teach the same methods they once used to create much needed wealth in the African nations. The six countries agreed to get rid of their coastal borders to allow the Norwegian company "Accord" to map the continental shelf. The Atlantic shelf that borders these six countries is thought to be filled with rich natural gas and other various resources.

I love reading about situations like these when a big brother country goes out of its way to help out a smaller one. We hardly hear of Norway on the news and it bothered me that this has gone unnoticed. Maybe its just me but Im tired of Lindsey Lohan being arrested on every channel. I hope other countries including our own can use its advantages and knowledge to help bring Africa towards modernization.

5 comments:

  1. What strikes me most from this article is that six African countries have agreed to share the coastal resources. I really hope this works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the big brother relationship does not turn into one of exploitation of resources! It is nice to hear about the vast amount of help that Norway is providing - 6 countries is a lot to take down which shows that they truly have big goals for these nations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jamie. My first thought when I read this was "exploitation". Maybe I've lost my faith in the world and in human race, but this doesn't "smell good" to me. I hope to be proved wrong, but seems like Norway wants something more out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I did notice that the article didn't mention why Norway was doing this, but a big part of me refuses to believe they're just trying to help. =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic news, I hope that the Norway's influence travels to many other countries in Africa. This can turn out to be a great beginning for struggling countries in Africa!

    ReplyDelete